Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Strawberry, Honey & Citrus Salad


Now, I know what you're thinking...


("really Blayre, strawberries? It's not even peak berry season yet, c'mon")


well, ok... if you're picky that may be true, but the gloriously warm weather is fast approaching!

Forgive me, I had to get it out of my system :  )

You see, I have a thing for produce. I can't help but somehow becoming completely mesmerized by a beautiful gala apple or a unique bunch of golden raspberries. 
Fruit is edible art in its purest form, and I love highlighting produce for what it is, trying to keep it as unadulterated as possible. 


This past Christmas, I received one of the most fabulous displays of fruit art ever recorded on paper. The Blue Chair Fruit Company [check out their blog in my "sites I love" section] plays around with super exotic flavor combinations, producing some of the best jams, jellies, and marmalades around. Their book, the Blue Chair Jam Cookbook, is a collection of these recipes (plus those fantastic pics). I hope to start experimenting with some of their creations this summer, so stay tuned!

For now though, I give you strawberries in a fresher form: 


This simple recipe is perfect for a picnic, small get-together, or a fresh dessert on a warm spring night (I happened to bring this to a brunch). The "dressing" can also be used for other fruits as well (maybe adding some orange slices would also be tasty!) 

[Getting your berries from the local farmer's market or roadside stand is a great way to find fruit that is in season, grown in your area, and honor local businesses!]

Strawberry, Honey & Citrus Salad 

2 pints of strawberries; washed, tops removed, cut into quarters
1/8 cup freshly-squeezed orange juice
2 Tbsp Wildflower or Orange Blossom Honey
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp orange zest

1. Combine orange juice, honey, brown sugar, and orange zest in a bowl and stir until blended
2. Pour over the berries, toss, and enjoy!



I hope that this recipe inspires you to keep things simple, fresh and inspired!


Stay hungry and curious,

Blayre :)












0 comments:

Post a Comment