Monday, May 14, 2012

The Only Chocolate Cake Recipe You'll Ever Need...




Seriously people, throw all of those other recipes away.

You know the ones I'm talking about... 
if it requires you to cream, fold, whip, sift, 
or to add two eggs to the mysterious powdered mix and stir, 
you wont ever need it again.

Trust me, I've got you covered!
(and I'm not even a huge cupcake fan...)




I have to be honest, I think I'm a recipeaholic. Seriously, I can't refrain from turning down a good recipe, and I collect them like some people collect fortunes or wine corks or vintage Barbies. If I ever ask you for your recipe, you know that I really (really) liked what you made.

SO, when I happened upon one of my favorite blogs for said amazing recipes, Sweetapolita, I was unsure if her gorgeous cakes actually tasted good.
WELLLL. If this post doesn't say it, the cupcakes you make with the following recipe will.


(just to reiterate...)

Why this cake is the best. Ever.

1. It takes 5 minutes to mix, tops

2. You literally throw everything in the mixer, 
give it a whirl, and voila. Cake.

3. It is a richer, chocolatier, more decadent version of a boxed mix.

4. You can use this recipe for cupcakes, layer cakes and even 
stacked wedding cakes (done, done and done).



So I hope that I have you convinced at this point. No go, grab your piping tips, let's get started!

Best Ever (Seriously) Chocolate Cupcakes with Creamy Fudge Frosting

[adapted from sweetapolita.com]

Yields 24 standard cupcakes

1 3/4 c AP Flour
2 c granulated sugar
3/4 c cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

2 eggs
1/2 c black coffee
1/2 cup water
1 c milk
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Place all dry ingredients together in the bowl of a standard mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix for about thirty seconds on low speed to combine the ingredients and remove any lumps

2. In a separate bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients. It is ok if the coffee is still warm, but be sure that it is not scalding hot. Whisk to combine.

3. With the mixer running at medium-low speed, slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry in a steady stream until combined, about two minutes.

4. Once all of the ingredients are incorporated, stop the mixer and scrape the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Mix once again for about a minute. The mixture will be watery.

5. Line a cupcake tin with 24 cupcake papers. If making this into a cake, be sure to thoroughly spray the cake pan or sheet pan, as well as line the bottom with sprayed parchment paper to prevent sticking. Cupcakes do not need to be sprayed. 

6. Portion the batter into the molds, filling only 3/4 of the way up each cup. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the cupcakes spring back (meaning that they do not leave the impression of your finger in the top) from the touch. 

Fudge Frosting:


6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted 
4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar (sifting is not needed)
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened but not melted
6 Tbsp half and half
1 Tablespoon black coffee
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Place the softened butter in a standard mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed for two minutes.

2. Stop mixer and add all of the confectioners sugar. Mix on low speed until incorporated with the butter, and then turn up to medium high and beat for three minutes, and then another three minutes on high speed. The end result should be a light and fluffy product. If your butter was not soft enough, it's ok! Keep beating on high until this result is achieved.

3. Add the unsweetened melted chocolate, half and half, black coffee and vanilla and mixed until smooth and creamy. Be sure to scrape the bowl well and incorporate any hiding unsweetened chocolate.

4. Pipe onto cupcakes (I used an 804 CIA star piping tip), garnish and enjoy!



I sincerely hope that you give this recipe a try. I promise that you will use it over and over again because it's just that good!










Also, I figured I'd leave all of you with a little intro... my wonderful and adorable boyfriend Brandon (on right). Since he's basically half of me, you might as well know his beautiful smiling face (I promise you'll be seeing more of him!)









Stay hungry and curious,

Blayre :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment